The Criminal Investigation Division of the Wadesboro Police Department is lead by a Captain, Detective B. Chewning. Their primary mission is to investigate time-consuming, complex or specialized crimes that are not practical for patrol deputies to investigate.
Detectives are able to respond 24/7 to crime scenes at the request of the Patrol Division and other law enforcement agencies throughout the town for such serious crimes as:
- Breaking and enter investigations
- Computer crimes
- Controlled substance violations
- Death investigations
- Financial crimes
- Identity theft
- Larceny investigations
- Major assaults
- Sensitive crimes such as sexual assault and child abuse
- Structure fires
- Vice / narcotic investigations
- Weapon violation investigations
Detectives attend specialized training in these and other areas to stay current in investigative techniques and evidence collection. Upon request, detectives are also tasked with assisting other municipal police agencies with investigations.
The Wadesboro Police has an active and productive working relationship with local, state, and federal agencies and departments, such as:
- Anson County Sheriff’s Office
- 4th Circuit, Middle District North Carolina
- Federal Bureau of Investigations
- North Carolina Department of Public Safety (Community Corrections, Probation and Parole, and Juvenile Justice)
- North Carolina Highway Patrol, Bureau of Alcohol
- North Carolina State Bureau of Investigations
- Tobacco and Firearms
- United States Attorney’s Office
- United States Marshals
Detectives also perform an educational role for the community by providing presentations on a diverse range of topics, such as narcotics awareness, safety, as well as others.
Detectives are assigned to various primary responsibilities such as Property Crimes, Major Crimes, and Vice / Narcotics, but come together to investigate cases that require additional manpower and to provide the citizens of Wadesboro with a high standard of investigative resource to combat criminal activity within Town of Wadesboro.